The plan for dinner? Soft tacos. I just knew I had flour tortillas in the freezer. So I got all of the other ingredients ready for a “make your own” style flour tortilla night.
I looked in the freezer. No tortillas!
What to do? To the Internet I go! I found this great flour tortilla recipe that I have been using ever since:
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup warm water or milk
1. Mix flour, salt, and baking powder in a large bowl.
2. Cut shortening into dry ingredients. (I have found a food processor works wonders!)
3. Add milk or water, working mixture together until a sticky ball forms.
4. Wrap in plastic and let rest for 30 minutes.
5. Divide into 8-10 ball (for small tortillas) or 6-8 balls (for large tortillas). Cover with a damp cloth.
6. Lightly dust work surface with flour and roll out each ball into a circle or oval about 1/4 inch thick. Don’t roll the dough out more than once or the tortillas will be tough.
7. Heat a dry griddle or non-stick skillet over high heat for 5 minutes. Cook the tortillas for 30 seconds on each side, or until the dough looks slightly dry and wrinkled, and brown spots appear. Do not overcook or they will be hard. Butter and roll up and wrap in a damp towel to keep warm. Serve warm.